Sunday 27 October 2013

Are you ready to meet thy creator?

I was walking in town not long ago when I crossed a man carrying a sign with this sentence on:
"Are you ready to meet thy creator?"
I smiled.
I meet my Creator every day.

"The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me" (John 12:45)

As a Christian I believe that God is a Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The relationship between the divine Persons is beyond human comprehension, however Jesus taught us that:

"I am in the Father and the Father is in me" (John 14:11)

During the Last Supper, the Lord Jesus Christ gave us the greatest of the gifts: he promised us to be present Himself under the species of the bread and wine every time we participate to the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

"Sacraments are "powers that comes forth" from the Body of Christ, which is ever-living and life-giving. They are actions of the Holy Spirit at work in his Body, the Church. They are 'the masterworks of God' in the new and everlasting covenant." (Catechism of the Catholic Church - 1116)

So, the Father and the Son are one and the Holy Spirit is in action in the Sacraments. The Eucharist - from the Greek 'to give thanks' - is the Sacrament in which Christ donates Himself to us.

"If from the beginning Christians have celebrated the Eucharist and in a form whose substance has not changed despite the great diversity of times and liturgies, it is because we know ourselves to be bound by the command the Lord gave on the eve of his Passion: 'Do this in remembrance of me.' 

We carry out this command of the Lord by celebrating the memorial of his sacrifice. In so doing, we offer to the Father what he has himself given us: the gifts of his creation, bread and wine which, by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the words of Christ, have become the body and blood of Christ. Christ is thus really and mysteriously made present."  (Catechism of the Catholic Church - 1356, 1357)

As a Catholic I believe in the real presence of Christ in the Holy Communion - the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

I meet my Creator every day.

Am I ready? I can only trust in God's infinite mercy.

I meet my Creator every day. And you?

Are you ready?



Almighty and Eternal God, behold I come to the sacrament of Your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. 
As one sick I come to the Physician of life; unclean, to the Fountain of mercy; blind, to the Light of eternal splendor; poor and needy to the Lord of heaven and earth. 
Therefore, I beg of You, through Your infinite mercy and generosity, heal my weakness, wash my uncleanness, give light to my blindness, enrich my poverty, and clothe my nakedness. 
May I thus receive the Bread of Angels, the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, with such reverence and humility, contrition and devotion, purity and faith, purpose and intention, as shall aid my soul’s salvation.
Grant, I beg of You, that I may receive not only the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of our Lord, but also its full grace and power. 
Give me the grace, most merciful God, to receive the Body of your only Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, born of the Virgin Mary, in such a manner that I may deserve to be intimately united with His mystical Body and to be numbered among His members. 
Most loving Father, grant that I may behold for all eternity face to face Your beloved Son, whom now, on my pilgrimage, I am about to receive under the sacramental veil, who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, world without end. Amen.
(St. Thomas Aquinas - prayer before holy Communion) 

No comments:

Post a Comment